Friday, July 24, 2009

An Acoustic Celebration at the Calgary Folk Festival

Arrive just in time for Justin Rutledge (damn work, but is supports my music habit). He is an artist whose CD's I just can not get into, but people who have seen him live have told me that he is first rate. I immediately know by the second song that they are right. The guy radiates a connection right across the massive field and I settle in and just listen entranced.

What can I say about Jay Crocker? I saw him open for Michael Franti in a rock mode. I have seen him in his jazz mode. Tonight he is proving that a man with a guitar can transform the place into an intimate venue. I just kept mentally leaning in to hear 'closer.'

Umalali is the first great gift of the weekend. The instant thought is that I would love to attend a workshop that paired this group with some throat singers. With our studio sound based music culture we can lose sight of the pure honesty of the oral tradition in tracking and remembering the human experience. You can feel the last 400 years of their culture in this show. And I am up and moving the feet for the first time this weekend - great joy.

Chad VanGaalen - for one so young he sure takes me back to the original folk revival days. I think it's because beneath his songs is a very wry sense of humour which I share.

The Woodchoppers Association with Jah Youssouf - the saviors of the weekend by filling in a set. And what a gift. For the very first time at the Folk Festival I find that I have wandered up near the dancing area - just being drawn in. Love it when the Calgary crowd's French comprehension is challenged! But the passion to communicate (both ways) means we figure it out. I love the band. However there is something about the instruments from Mali that really resonates tonight. Perhaps it is the setting; perhaps it is that I know people have been listening for thousands of years to the sounds these instruments calling out. I am bewitched.

I give up on Mutabaruka. I like the idea of presenting a poet, but I can not hear him well. Will catch him in a workshop. So I wander the food tents looking for something to eat. Surprising how long the lines are this late in the evening.

Back, with food, in time for Iron and Wine. For some reason his performance is the perfect ending to the evening. He has a unique voice - lyrics that present strobe flashes of how generations interact or how we grow old, but hold memories of "the summer we were 17." Song after song is just beautiful. He definitely has his own voice, but reminds me of someone. I find the memory at last - Jim Croce sounded a bit like this (check out "These Dreams" on the net). And the barrier falls: This will be the first CD purchased this weekend.

Administrative Trivia

Originally Iwas opposed to the idea of a "4 day band" because I know it will drive me nuts as it gets more and more grotty with built up sweat and grime. However, I opt for one. I realize that by getting one, I will only have to stand in line once at the ticket gate.

I am very hopeful that the Festival has finally found the solution to the MC problem. Carolyn Mark is doing an excellent job. Please the earth gods that Nancy White will as well. I am relying on Nancy's radio hosting experience (and talent) to carry Saturday and Sunday.

All in all a gentle invitation to the weekend on offer tonight. I could feel the layers of stress peeling off. It was a damn long and cold winter, and the recession has not been kind to so many people that I know. However I have 3 more days of communing with musicians and other 'expert listeners' and am looking forward to it!

1 comment:

spooley said...

Interesting comment on MC's. I made a comment to my wife that based on Mark's performance, I hope they are not actually paying the MC's! I thought she was horrible. White was marginally better.